Dilaudid belongs to the family of medications known as narcotic pain relievers. It is used to treat moderate to severe pain, including pain after surgery. High concentration injectable forms of this medication are used to treat only severe pain for people who need higher than usual doses.
Hydromorphone works on the brain to increase the ability to tolerate pain. Hydromorphone begins to work within 30 minutes for oral (by mouth) forms, or within 5 minutes for injectable forms.
Dilaudid is available as immediate-release and extended-release tablets, an injection, a rectal suppository and also as an oral liquid. Your dose will depend on your condition, pain level, and other factors.
You should take the oral Dilaudid by mouth as directed by your doctor. Also you can take this medicine with or without food. In addition do not crush, open, or break an extended-release tablet. Swallow it whole.
If you are using liquid Dilaudid, carefully measure each dose using a medicine measuring spoon or syringe. Do not use a kitchen measuring spoon. Furthermore, if your liquid is a suspension, you should shake the bottle well before each dose.
Warnings and Precautions
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver or kidney disease, alcoholism, lung or thyroid disease, heart disease, prostate enlargement, urinary problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may lead to constipation; if it so consult with your doctor.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise patient may get addicted to this drug.
Side effects of Dilaudid
You may experience certain side effects while taking hydromorphone. These side effects range from moderate to severe. Consult with your physician if moderate side effects become acute or if they do not go away on their own. Also seek immediate medical help if you experience severe side effects. Moderate side effects includes:
Nausea and Vomiting.
Also severe side effects includes;
Severe or Persistent Dizziness and Drowsiness.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.